Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Exit Interview

(1) What is the best way a Pediatric Oncologist can increase the survival rate of a patient with a primary cancer? 
Answer 1 - Ensuring a patient is supported emotionally by their parents and doctors
Answer 2 - Developing specialized treatments that are effective in killing cancerous cells 
Answer 3 - Conducting clinical trials
My best answer is conducting clinical trials because they are the reason for why many new medicines and treatments have emerged into the medical world. Although they are not specifically made at clinical trials, they are tested there making sure they are safe to be distributed to the population.
(2) I arrived at this answer through talking with Dr. Clarke Anderson of City of Hope. Dr. Anderson mentioned that they are a crucial part of developing new and innovative medicines that help save lives. Without clinical trials we would not know the effects these new developments have on people.
(3) Problems I faced during the senior project process was at the beginning of the year when I couldn't find someone who would take me under their wing. It took be about two weeks to finally have someone let me mentor with them, in the end I found a very nice and useful mentorship; they have been very helpful. Another problem that I ran into was finding interviews because since professionals are always busy they never really had the time of day for me. Finally I found, Dr. Clarke Anderson, who has been my most valuable source to date.
(4) Dr. Clarke Anderson has been one of my most important sources because he is a professional in my topic and he has had over 20 years of experience. He is a Pediatric Oncologist at City of Hope and is involved in many research groups trying to find better treatments. Other important sources happen to be my research articles, in particular the ones that emphasize clinical trials and new innovated treatments because they keep me up to date on new improvements in the medical field and how they have changed the chances of patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment